The "Greifswalder Ukrainicum" is an international summer school on science, culture and language of Ukraine, organised by the Alfried Krupp Wissenschaftskolleg Greifswald and the University of Greifswald. It is funded by the Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Stiftung, Essen, Germany.
"Thinking Under Bombing: Feminism, Gender, Queer" is set to deal with the most urgent of matters. The war challenges both regular and academic life in a way never imagined. Violence and displacement affect every gender alike, but not every gender in the same way. During our Ukrainicum, we will approach Ukrainian Gender and Queer Studies under the aspect of war and related themes. We will also discuss the contribution of these fields of studies to critical thinking about the war.All attendees will get a chance to work intensively for two weeks in Greifswald, start learning or polishing their Ukrainian in one of our three language courses and have the chance to network with other young academics and scholars.
XXVI. Greifswalder Ukrainicum’s keynote is Cynthia Enloe (Clark University).
This year’s seminars are going to be the following:
- Maria Mayerchyk (Kyїv/Greifswald): Genealogies of Ukrainian Feminisms
- Olga Plakhotnik (Kharkiv/Greifswald): Sexuality, Citizenship, and War
- Darya Tsymbalyuk (Mykolaїv/ St. Andrews): Feminist Approaches to working with Contexts of War and Displacement
- Jessica Zychowicz (Kyїv/Warszawa): Power, Intellectuals, War: Women on Violence in Ukraine
- Kseniia Gatskova (Regensburg): Gender Inequality in Ukraine: Labour Market in Focus
- Olenka S. Dmytryk (Cambridge): Aside from the Norm: Artistic Sexual/Gender Dissent and Social Formations in Ukraine
Guest speakers: nadiya chushak (Kyїv/Lviv), Yulia Serdyukova (Kyїv), Myroslav Slaboshpytskyi (Kyїv/Vienna), Vadym Yakovlev (Odesa/Lviv)
Ukrainian language courses by:
- Kseniia Borodin (Lviv)
- Hanna Shvets (Kyїv)
- Olena Synchak (Lviv)
Further lectures and discussions are to be announced. All participants are warmly invited to take part in the Workshop "Gender and War", which takes place as part of the "UnDisciplined: Pluralizing Ukrainian Studies"-Project on Saturday, August 13th 2022. The Alfried Krupp Wissenschaftskolleg Greifswald offers stipends for participation up to 400 Euros each. Please note that we cannot provide every attendee with a stipend. Also, the Kolleg and the Studierendenwerk Greifswald offer dorm rooms for scholarship holders. If you want to make use of this offer, please let us know in the application form. The cost of the dorm room (310 Euros) will be subtracted from the granted stipend.
Registration is closed.